Monday 8 February 2016

Papering the sky

Today was the last day I had free before the exhibition so I needed to get the layout running and tidy up a few outstanding little jobs. The most important thing to do was to try to get the wrinkles out of the sky, I decided that the simplest way to achieve this was to start again. So I unscrewed the backscene and proceeded to scrape the first attempt off.


This was much like wallpaper stripping but with a damp cloth and a scrappy thing it came off reasonably easily. I decided that I would take a slightly different approach this time so I only put an inch of glue at the top and some more at the bottom where the it goes below the scenery. I left enough at the top to fold it over and glue the edge down on the back of the mdf. Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I have a much flatter sky.





A big improvement. I look forward to having my custom version which will also feature the rest of the beach and a distant sea horizon.

I did lots of little bits and bobs, mainly on the two old boards and I cleaned all the track and gave the whole thing a good hoovering. The layout always just had a couple of black single sheets safety pinned round it to hide the layouts' and my legs so I tried what it would look like with these attached, amazing the difference it makes.


I spent a good while, testing and cleaning locos in readiness for the show. I may have to do some more of this...



Apart from the usual suspects stretching their legs a visitor from another Island with a railway was spotted taking a trip by the seaside.


Come and say hello at the Slate Museum. Even aside from Underhill it is a brilliant and fascinating museum.

No comments: