Sunday 27 January 2019

Weed Killer and bread rolls


I've had a couple of PECO flat wagons hanging around since they were released and I couldn't think what to do with them... Then in the week I bought the Airfix RAF crash lorry kit as I decided to get round to building a railcar out of a Meridian ALR kit; just in time to miss the end of the competition on the NGRM forum. Never mind, I was going to do that anyway.  When I opened the box I saw the water bowser from the fire engine and thought about making another slate wagon/tank conversion as seen on the F&WHR but that would be boring so a weed killer wagon was born.
 

 
Having built the tank, I thought what else would you need to spray weed killer on the track and a pump sprang to mind. There is a small generator on the fire engine too so I've used that and a selection of other bits and bobs.



I cut and bent some brass rod to shape to make four pipes to spray the track and there it is.

 
The other flat needed a use and it made sense to run them as a pair. A tool van and crew bothy seemed like something useful and as I had some bits and pieces cut from a Dundas FR coach kit on my work tray the rest was obvious.

 
After the usual primer
 
 
Here they are after painting, they need some weathering and the lamp putting back on the roof, but otherwise finished
 
Also finished off this week was the bakery for Castell Coed, I'm happy with how it turned out and it sits perfectly at the end of Alma Street.

 
With the bakery finished I've turned my attention to getting Castell Coed fighting fit for the Llanberis exhibition at the end of February. The main job that needed completing was the modification of the spare lighting post left over from Underhill's move indoors. All it needed was the 2 x 1 upright thinning down to fit the widget which supports it.
 
 
As a result of much improved lighting I had a bit of a play and took some photos of the recent short bogie coach in action with various locos.





 
Today's project has been the Stonerisation of the first of my three PECO GVT maroon unliveried coaches. Inspiration shamelessly stolen but I guess blood and custard with black ends has seen use somewhere else.
 
 




2 comments:

Mike C said...

I painted my Gyn Vally coaches Blood and Custard but the black ends is a brilliant idea. Back to the painting desk.

Lord Stoner said...

I can take no credit for the idea. Stolen shamelessly from Pudley Wonderer on the NGRM forum. Only difference is that his is a lovely 7mm scale brass kit.