Saturday 22 June 2019

Lots of wires

We've been mental busy at work this last couple of weeks so the layout has been quite neglected but I needed some modelling therapy one evening so I continued my drive to either sell or build some of the kits in the drawer of shame. Several years ago, Barry of W^D Models gave me a couple of kits to build and I duly filed them away as I had no place to put them on the layout. A Crossley Staff Car was one of them and this week I've made it up. It is a cast resin kit which is not something I've had much experience of but it went together very simply once the parts were cleaned up. It has provided a sumptuous motor car for Lord and Lady Stoner to get about the island on. Painting next.



Whilst looking for something else I stumble upon the IoSR brass band and choir who like to tour the island in their very own carriages. They are cut down Dundas FR open coaches and I've never really run them on a layout, having built them as a bit of fun but with a little fettling of the bogies they made a trip to Underhill to entertain a train load of tourists.



I did spend a day off with the soldering iron etc. The result of which is that Rock Beach now has it's buildings and street lights illuminated. It isn't a complete job as it still needs tidying up and adding to the control panel for that end of the layout but it does mean I can play trains in the dark.


The next three pictures show the results above baseboard level. The cottage in the foreground glows rather too much as it hasn't been lined with black card like the other illuminated buildings. The drinking fountain roof has a similar problem but is easily solved.




I also had a quick go at getting the inspection saloon going with some success but it is still a bit all or nothing in the speed control department.

...and this surprised me when I opened the brown envelope. Two magazine front pages in one month. Thanks to Andrew and to Chris. 

No comments: