Friday 22 January 2021

Oy

It has been a busy week at work so I haven't got as much done to the layout as I would have liked but it actually made a change to do something vaguely normal.

First thing I did was to paint the 'yellow carr', easy to see why it was called that. Mine is a little toned down and not so shiny as the prototype which I believe is at the Bala Lake Railway, in their museumy bit. Want to pay it a visit but of course that isn't a thing right now.

It has no pin point bearings and the axles just run in moulded slots so it isn't very free wheeling. I've added a little lead underneath so hopefully it will behave better now.

With the track and electrics finished and working I've had a chance to do a bit of testing and here is Dolgoch and TR style train in the station. I hunted high and low for the station building which is my best guess at what Dduallt Station building looked like at one point. It's based on one photo really. I scaled the building from the height of doors. I originally made it for the abortive big layout that preceded this one and then it was used as the enginemen's bothy for a while. I've cleaned all the bits of plaster and scenic gunk off it and given it a repaint, stuck the chimney back on and voila, Upper Bay is starting to take shape. 


I need to build a water tower which will be TyB old one and a goods shed also based on the old TyB one; I also ordered some Evergreen styrene square rod which will hopefully be about right to make a crane like the old TyB one too.



The main thing I did get done in the garage was the construction and installation of the lighting gantry for Upper Bay, it makes quite a difference to be able to see what I'm doing but I suspect I might need one more lamp on the Rock Beach gantry. It will do for now.

The other 3D print has progressed too and is now virtually finished, it will be named 'Oy'. As it is a shortened L&B style loco it needed a shorter river name and as I come from Croydon; a town sadly devoid of rivers, I decided on that... plates on order from Narrow Planet.

Mr Malton has done a cracking job of the loco and it would be perfectly simple to just paint it and plop it on a chassis but that isn't the Wooden way so I've added a few details to make it my own. Somewhere I have some sunshine yellow Southern transfers so maybe it will get those applied.

Bouyed up but the success and the enjoyment of finishing off 'Oy' I've gone and ordered one of these...
It isn't easy to see from this angle but it is a mini version of an Isle of Mann, Beyer Peacock. Again to sit on a KATO 109. Dave made a version without handrails specially for me, that's what I call customer service. Think it might be a while coming from chez Shapeways but I've plenty to get on with. Or I could read a book...

 

No comments: