Sunday 16 May 2021

Stormtroopers, locos and mdf

On May the 4th Stoner had a visit from The Empire, a storm trooper had a browse at the brick a brack stall in the market at Rock Beach having parked his AT AT walker in the town square. No one seemed to take much notice.


Meanwhile back in the real world (?) Stoner has acquired yet more locomotives. The first of these came from eBay where it seemed to be largely ignored. Incorrectly listed as a Chilvers (lol) kit it is in fact a Paul Windle special which has a fairly illustrious history having been built for the Gairloch and Westeross Railway. I'm proud to add it to my fleet and have ordered 'Lord Stoner' name plates for it and a crew from Modelu. Other than a replacement front vacuum pipe and a couple of paint touch ups I will leave well alone.



Meanwhile back at Upper Bay the scenery has been making gradual progress with nearly all the filler work in place.

The first part of disguising the join of the lift off bit is in place with sections of stone wall glued down. This needs the addition of some filler and so on to disguise the joins but otherwise it looks promising. 

The goods shed siding and coal drops are all in place now, I just need to make a shoot for the coal.

I finally gave in and bought a GVT Bachmann Baldwin, the livery is so nice and I got it for a good price from work. It has had a subtle amount of weathering and will gain a Modelu crew.

I already had a few GVT PECO coaches so a whole train can be made up. I might make a version of the passenger van to go with it, it is basically a Dundas GVT van with a veranda.

On eBay I found a company called Fair Price Models selling very nice but quite basic laser cut MDF (?) kits and they have a small farm cottage which is ideal for the building to hide the handle which lift the hidden lid.

A pleasant evenings work on the lap tray saw the basic shell constructed. I love making buildings so am looking forward to finishing this off. I have guttering on order from Modelu which looked nice so hopefully that will finish it off nicely. A slate roof and then wiggly tin for the extension I think.

The same place saw a footbridge which will help to disguise the hidden sidings cutting. Very fine laser work. I stuck the kits together with superglue as I don't have the patience for pva, all seems fin so far.

 

No comments: