Today I started work on the rewiring/wiring of St Ruth and the big hill. I decided where and how to mount the controller and the control panel. The first picture shows the controller on it's new shelf and the sheet of styrene taped in place, it will be slightly smaller than the whole sheet. It needs to have space for 10 point switches, about the same sections and seven or eight signal controls and a diagram. Dapol need to get on and produce the bracket signal. Previously I've put switches into a diagram but it makes the wiring more confused on the back and once you learn your way round the controls it's no quicker.
The existing wiring all comes down the fifty way multi-core cable that used to connect to the old control panel. Hopefully I can find the notebook where I wrote down what is connected to what... if not I'm not sure how to approach it. I drilled holes in the baseboard cross members to get the big cable to where the new panel will be and it comes to the right place. Next job is to fit switches and brace the panel, a bit more of my marvellous carpentry... oh dear.
I can't wait to get this done and all working so that I can get on with the scenery and playing trains. The Gaugemaster double controller will control the lighthouse branch and the mainline into the loop, right hand running a la FR, when I build the rest of the line I will use another controller for the balance of the mainline and the works. This will be the handheld unit I use for Underhill so that I can follow the trains round the garage without having eyes in the back of my head.