I'd restored the cab and given the nearly finished loco a coat of primer when it was pointed out that the couplings looked a bit clunky compared to the rest of the loco and I had to agree that they did.
I had some more subtle couplings in the form of a brass etching that had come with a kit so I removed the 3D printed couplings... This resulted in breaking the rear buffer beam so it looked dreadful. I decided that a styrene replacement was the answer.
I was much happier with this version and after some excellent advice about using Decalfix instead of water to apply Archer rivet transfers I added a row to the buffer beam.
All was going well until I recieved a parcel from the lovely chaps at Narrow Planet which included several sets of Borsna couplings. In the words of Homer, 'Doh'.
Another problem also arrived with the new couplings in the form of the much anticipated LKM NS2 kits. I know I should finish one thing before starting another but I didn't as usual.
The LKM uses a Minitrains Gmeinder chassis
The NS2 is a mixed media kit which uses the different materials to their best effect. It has a 3D printed basic body which then has etched nickle silver overlays to add detail. It went together in an evening on the lap tray, a nice kit which makes good use of the great Minitrains chassis but allows the toy like Egger style body to be discarded. the only change I made was to add the discarded etched couplings from Alice Morgan as the scale couplings didn't work well with BEMO or PECO style hoops.
Today I gave them both a coat of primer in the morning and a first coat of acrylics this evening.
At the cheese factory with fellow NP loco Eigiau
First coats of the main colours