Tuesday, 9 April 2013

You know how it is...

I spent yesterday evening finishing off the cattle wagons and putting a few finishing touches to Moel y Gest. I was wondering how to do the wasp stripes on the buffer beams but in the end I've done them by hand; not brilliant but with a couple of washes of weathering over them they pass muster at a distance. The wagons look good and having put them with the rest of the train I need to attend to the other wagons so they all go together better, however the whole train looks quite butch with Grace Alice at its head.



So... did I concentrate on getting the new locos running properly?... Er, no. I started work on building a new loco. To be precise, Beddgelert. It has always been my favourite NWNG loco and I've had a kit in my drawer for years. It is a Chivers whitemetal kit with a Minitrix 2-6-2 chassis. Several doner chassis have come and gone since I bought thekit with none being good enough, however I got one from the 009 sales stand at NGN and I've been twitching to build it ever since; so I've started. It has gone together very well so far and I have the basic loco body and chassis mods finished. The chassis needs the motor wiring back to the pick ups and testing but fingers crossed. I did make a shortened version some years ago which was quite chunky but this is a big loco, shame the real thing didn't survive past 1906 as it would be a magnificent beast and probably useful on the modern day WHR. My story is that the IoSR bought the knackered remains and rebuilt it rather than it having been scrapped.





No comments:

Post a Comment