Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Finishing stuff

I've been doing some bits which I haven't had time for for ages. Namely, I've structurally finished my Britomart and very smart it looks too. The final push was to file the cab and the boiler casting so that it fitted slightly over the rear springs so that the rear of the cab lined up with the back of the footplate. This was only necessary because I'd made the cab slightly too long, only by half a mil but enough to make it not fit. Looks fine now. I also emeried the bad paint flat and re-coated it more carefully.


Among the detail bits I've added the most significant is a 4mm to the foot RobCo the locos current owner. I found a whitemetal figure that I'd painted ages ago and so re-did most of it, the pose looks quite good. Having been on the footplate of the real thing, a stooped figure seemed appropriate.


The real loco has a couple of patches on the tank which I've added with little bits of styrene, one from memory and one from a photo... I should have looked at more photos as the one from memory is wrong. Bugger.



Need some works plates for the cab sides and then there's the lining. The other missing details are the lubricators which hang on the front of the tank, I may have to make these somehow but a brass casting would be nice. I've opted out of the lining as it is quite intricate and I know I'll just make a mess of it. Less is definitely more in this instance.


Another project well under way now is the steam tram for Port Lucy. I'm pretty happy with how wierd this looks. Odd but not beyond the realms of possibility. Garry Whiting very kindly sent me a bell which I've duly added to the roof along with a lamp from the PD Hunslet, the other one is on the back.


I've started painting and so it should be finished pretty soon. I'm determined not to rush it and spoil it... famous last words.

A new product which has come into my life recently is Deluxe models 'Glue Buster'. It undoes Cyano glues. I was sceptical but it works. So far I've unglued the safety valves on Britomart and put them in the right place and now I've started to dismantle my Tomix Percy bash.


I need to get the chassis working properly and find a way of attaching the chassis which doesn't involve glue and a gas axe to remove it.

Tomorrow I'm off to the woodyard to get some 2 x 1 to start making the baseboard for Port Lucy etc. I also have to complete the joining section down from the unfinished section. Quite excited about a new bit of layout to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment