Friday 4 December 2020

Coaching, plans and stuff

Not really been much going on in modelling world really but thought I'd round it up anyway.

I've bought the timber for the construction of the extension but it's been too cold in the garage to get started on building it. I have been thinking about the best way to use the space. Because I loose the fiddle yard in building this next part of the line I've been wondering if I could fit in a few hidden sidings. While wondering about this it occurred to me that I could run a line behind the backscene which could lead to a future fiddle yard. Not sure it will all fit properly but the baseboard would be the same anyway so a bit of 3D planning when the board is made.

Something like this.

I dug out the cheese factory to see what I might be able to run on it having melted my Portram/ROCO skip loco... Might build another one.

Having been curious to see a Bachmann TR coach I ordered one from Tootaly Thomas and it duly arrived with the replacement Percy, which works perfectly.

It is a nice model and the livery quite nicely applied, a bit shiny but a coat of matt varnish would sort that out. 

I started trying to paint over the Bachmann paint but as I guessed it would be, a coat of primer helped tremendously.

Here it is finished and with 'Dolgoch'. I had a problem with 'Dolgoch's chassis which was getting worse with the loco having developed a very lumpy gait. I took off the body applied a battery to the wheels and all was well; I put the body back on and it was fine so I guess something was rubbing somewhere.

Here they are in action on the layout, the coach fits with the kit built rake very well.


Another thing I've spent a surprising amount of time doing was making a few foxgloves a la Alan Ogden who models the Corris and whose foxgloves I admired, he explained how to make them. His are better than mine but they look ok on the layout.



When I modified the ROCO diesel to make it more British looking I ordered plates to finish it off, lo and behold they finally arrived and I have duly fitted them. Maybe a spot of weathering and it's finished.





 

No comments: