Sunday 24 February 2019

A busy week

I have had a mad busy week including a trip to London to help set up the display of Velinheli and Chaloner on King's Cross Station concourse. If you wanted to see it, too late as it will be all be taken away over night tonight. Thankfully, I'm not involved in that.
 
Making a life-size model railway in London
 
Back in the 4mm scale world, I made a couple of finishing touches to Castell Coed so it's ready to take to Llanberis this week. Oddly the show days are Wednesday to Friday...
 
The main jobs I did were to take the controls from the front left of the baseboard and put them on the side out of the way of small fingers. This left an area of pristine baseboard which I covered up with some scenic bits and bobs and a new section of wall. I think it looks much better for it and wish I'd done it ages ago. 

The new bit of scenery, bottom left

The whole layout
 
I've really got the bit between my teeth with getting on with the scenery on Underhill and I'm having a whale of a time. I really enjoy bringing my ideas to life with such basic materials.

Both sides of Parrott Cutting are now complete and awaiting paint and so on.
 
The next big area to receive attention with the putty knife and the plaster was Quarry Hill, the Town Quarry now has an adit which will have a 6.5mm gauge track in the fullness of time which will join up with the quarries upper level tramway which is already in place.

The adit

Quarry Hill

The new adit and the cutting below

Lots of colour to add
 
Today, I've added the filler layer over the plaster bandage for the area of transition between the beach and the rocky countryside. This is a slightly tricky bit as strictly speaking some of the countryside below the quarry is now below sea level but I'm hoping that this won't be too apparent once the scenery is complete.

In this picture you can see bare plaster bandage and then an area with roughly applied filler, beyond that there is an area where I've smoothed the filler out with a wet paint brush.

Here is the completed transition area. To the left of the dry stone wall will be sand dunes and beach and to the right, green countryside etc.

A wide view of the beach area with the first polystyrene formers in place to the left. The beach falls away from the back of the board to the sea as it did previously, I need to get that bit done next.
 
Oh, I sorted out Herman's inability to go round corners and it now can get from the fiddle yard to Underhill Town.

No comments: