Sunday 3 February 2019

Plastered again


This week I haven't done much modelling but I have finished off the weed killer wagon and its friend. Mostly this has been adding some weathering to make the unit look more lived in. I used Games Workshop thin washes, black, brown and green. I also used some rusty orange acrylic to dirty up the under frames and a few other bits.




When I was nearly finished doing the tank wagon I fumbled and dropped the whole thing into my Vegemite pot full of thinners which I clean brushes and dilute paint with. Bugger, I said and fished it out as soon as I could. All of the paint was starting to melt and I feared I might have to start from scratch but after the thinners had dried off and the paint set again it was mostly OK. Some bits needed touching up and the rusty edges on the tank cover up where the plastic was starting to show through.


The other painting I got done was the Stonerisation of the PECO GVT four wheelers. I have three of them and after finishing two off the same with the added cream and black ends I couldn't face the fiddling about on the third so I just painted the roof and picked out the droplights and footboards. I might revisit this at a latter date... but I might not.



Its been very cold in the garage so the scenery hasn't progressed much in recent months so on a spur of the moment I decided that I'd make a start on a simple job. I've widened the quarry board by screwing a section of 2 x 1 along the front. It won't make a huge difference but it will make photography easier and help blend the quarry area onto the transitional cutting before the beach section.


One pot of filler later and voila. Quite exciting and I now feel spurred on to get on with the rest of it...
  

I tried out Herman the railcar while doing some testing and found that it nearly goes round all the curves on the new formation but it still needs to be able to pivot slightly more. The wire from the rear bogie pickup is slightly too short which stops it pivoting properly so a simple job to lengthen the wire.

1 comment:

Chris Ford said...

Busy boy. All looking great.