Monday 18 November 2019

Van debter

This week I have been mostly building some wagons and a nice little brake van. The van was a kit I ordered from evilbay on a bit of a whim; I've mentioned my brake van addiction before and this helps feed my problem. I didn't realise that it was a Tom Bell design although it looked familiar. It turns out to be part of a new range of kits designed by him and printed by a partner.


When it arrived it came with no instructions in a little bag, neither thing a problem. The parts needed a little cleaning up on their edges with a needle file but otherwise all was well. 


It fitted together nicely, the only part not printed was the roof which was a piece of styrene sheet which needed cutting to size and banding to shape, not too onerous. On reflection I should have painted and glazed it before attaching the roof. In the end I used Glue n Glaze to do the plain end and left the balcony ones unglazed as you can't really see them.


I added a few details such as vac pipes and a chimney for the stove and the job was done, I really like the proportions of it and it suits the smaller rolling stock very well.



At the same time as building the van I decided to complete the rake of 009 Society kits I bought at ExpoNG and to add a little variety I added a tarpaulin support to one.

With a squirt of primer




and then painted


The first wagon has the tarpaulin fitted over the support. A sheet of printer paper folded and stuck with superglue and then painted to look like mucky tarpaulin.

No comments: